The Elvis | Fried Peanut Butter, Banana, Honey & Bacon Sandwich
Today marks what would have been Elvis Presley’s 80th birthday. In homage to “The King of Rock & Roll,” here’s a recipe for his favorite deliciously indulgent fried peanut butter, banana, honey, and bacon sandwich. Although there have been many variations over the years, most can agree that a classic Elvis includes generous amounts of butter, banana slices, and peanut butter sandwiched between two slices of white bread… then pan-fried. The additions of bacon and honey may have been later developments, but they make this sandwich all the more satisfying.
Fun Fact: It is said that Elvis would eat 15 sandwiches in a sitting! (This recipe only yields 4 sandwiches)
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 8 slices thick cut white bread
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 large, ripe banana, sliced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 12 slices bacon, sautéed until crispy
- On one side of half the bread slices, spread peanut butter generously.
- Place banana slices on top of peanut butter. Drizzle honey over bananas.
- Place 3 bacon slices on top of the honey-bananas, then place remaining bread slices on top.
- Place butter in the skillet and let melt. Lay the sandwiches down in the butter, allowing the bread to soak it up a bit, and flip once they become golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes. To do as the King would do, add more butter to the skillet once you flip your first side.
- Slice in half and serve immediately.
*This sandwich has the ability to be a diet ruiner, eat with caution and in sweatpants!
Happy Birthday, Elvis.